bzr for packaging

Reinhard Tartler siretart at tauware.de
Tue Apr 3 16:17:23 BST 2007

"Alexandre Vassalotti" <avassalotti at ubuntu.com> writes:

>   * <change>
>
> However, this bug isn't be an issue with most packages.

I have to admit that I didn't see any packages using that Changelog
format. Could you please name some?

>> > This would probably require to create a new specialized utility, using
>> > bzrlib, instead of a plugin.
>>
>> What specific problems do you see with implementing this packaging
>> assistance as bzr plugin? It seems quite natural to me.
>>

> The problems, I see, are mostly related to the user-interface. Bzr
> provides a lot of functionalities, which are unrelated to packaging. A
> separate tool would make a clear distinction between bzr's features
> and the packaging tool's features. In my humble opinion, that makes
> documentation easier and it soften the learning curve. Another small
> issue is that bzr revision model doesn't really fit to Debian
> packages. Unlike programs, Debian packages don't always need to save
> the revisions between the releases. Therefore, it would be nice to
> have different revision model (e.g.  a "bd release" command would
> commit and tag the current revision as a release). Of course, nothing
> stop bzr-builddeb to provide a similar feature.

You have a point somewhere. The "bd release" command however sounds
rather like the "hct publish" command, which is supposed to publish a
package in some distorelease, read: doing an upload somewhere. this is
clearly out of scope of bzr-builddeb. I agree however that you must not
confuse the package version number (1.0-0ubuntu2) from the branch
revision.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4