How long will 64bit Ubuntu users have to wait?

Jordan Mantha mantha at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 29 23:55:13 BST 2006

* Kilz _ <kilzzz at hotmail.com> [2006-09-29 17:41:17]:
<snipage>
> Im asking you developers to stop making Newbies jump through hoops to get
> what they clearly want. In case you didnt read my last email. the 32bit
> Firefox howto has 32k hits on it. The wine has 19k hits. If that isnt proof
> that people want it. You will never get it.

I want a pony too but I doubt I'll get one any time soon. We can't
satisfy everyone's needs (even if they are legitimate needs) this very
minute. We are at the tail end of Edgy and are long past Feature Freeze.
Personally, I'd rather have the developers spend their time making sure
a 64-bit Ubuntu exists at all. No one has said that they don't care
about 64-bit support. They are saying they don't have time right now to
get a couple of 64-bit apps (mostly closed-source) to work.

> I on the other hand already have it. You wouldnt be putting this in for me,
> but for the poor Windows user who is comming to Ubuntu who doesnt have a
> clue and cant jump through the hoops. After all isnt that what Ubuntu is
> advertised to do?

That is Ubuntu's goal for sure. Is Ubuntu perfect? Obviosly not. What we
need is cooperation and contribution from the Ubuntu community. What
people have objected to in this thread is that it is mostly unproductive
to point out a problem that everybody is aware of. Working on
implementation plans and gather a group of developers (implementors) is
much more productive. In that sense, a "Let's fix 64-bit Ubuntu! Who's
with me?" would have been a bit more productive.

-Jordan