How long will 64bit Ubuntu users have to wait?

Kilz _ kilzzz at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 29 21:41:20 BST 2006

>From: "Hervé Fache" <Herve at lucidia.net>
>To: ubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com
>Subject: Re: How long will 64bit Ubuntu users have to wait?
>Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 16:38:12 -0300
>
>Not cutting the users from the developpers, but indeed cutting the
>users list from the developpers list.
>
>The problem you are complaining about is a user problem, really:
>plugins do not work on your platform. Same as 'my wireless card is not
>recognised'. Either you do something wrong, or the system does. First
>case: ask the users list. Second case: file a bug.
>
>Now, if you want to help improve Ubuntu (solve the bug), you are more
>than welcome to! That part indeed might mean writing a specification,
>and implementing it...
>
>HTH,
>Hervé.
>
>On 9/29/06, Kilz _ <kilzzz at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > >Regular users have nothing to do on the devel list, have they?
> > The question was about a specification. As I understand it regular users
>are
> > invited on the forums to submit ideas and specifications.
> > Secondly, exactly how does a user ask questions to understand the
>direction
> > of the operating system they use? Do you propose cutting people who use
>the
> > operating system off from the people who develop it?
>--
I think your response shows an utter lack of understanding why things don't
"just work" on my platform. If you think things "just work" on 64bit take a
look here
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=185303 Read what the forum mod
has posted. "* Your 64-bit system requires that you do extraordinary things
to make it "just work." Do you anticipate that 64bit systems will decline in
use?
This isn't a why my wireless card isn't working. This is why isn't something
setup to work that can be. You are also assuming that another user is going
to be able to solve what you think is a problem. When in fact the problem is
that the applications being included in the 64bit version do not work. When
in fact I am the one that is trying to make it "just work" for users.
Next your suggestion to file a bug report also shows that you do not see the
problem. It isn't a bug that a 32bit plugin will not work with a 64bit
browser. But choices developers have made to include the 64bit browser while
not making a 32bit one available. A 32bit office suit was made available.
Are you suggesting that more people use office applications than browsers?
Sadly I don't think for one second the developers want to increase Ubuntu
use on one of the growing segments of computer users. 64bit system owners.