Proposal for solving CD Size problems

Krzysztof Lichota krzysiek at lichota.net
Wed Sep 27 09:35:16 BST 2006

Ethan Osten napisał(a):
> On Tue, 2006-26-09 at 15:42 -0600, Andrew Jorgensen wrote:
>> ther keep fighting to keep it all on one CD than give up and
>> go to DVD.
>
> Let's see what we can agree with:
[cut]
> Now, it's clear that at least a few of these things can be solved in the
> short-term by compressing archives, removing other packages, building
> packages without support, or simply ignoring user requirements. But is
> this a viable long-term solution? How long can Ubuntu honestly go on
> 650-700 megabytes alone?

It is not a matter of _whether_ to do it (switch to DVD), but _when_.
And it makes a big difference if we do it now, or in 5 years. Often
introduction of some software is delayed until targeted user base gets
strong enough computers to run this software (especially gamers). The
question is: what is the targeted user base for Ubuntu?

> Make no mistake; it's possible for Ubuntu's main line to bump its
> requirements while retaining support for older hardware. The solution
> isn't to cripple Ubuntu indefinitely, but to create more specialized
> versions. We already have Xubuntu for low-end machines; why not a Gnome-
> or KDE-based single-CD distribution for the hardware in-between? It
> represents maintenance work and possible user confusion, but I don't
> think either of those are insurmountable challenges.

I agree. There should be version for high-end machines, normal machines
and low-end (Xubuntu). But the maintenance overhead goes up.

	Krzysztof Lichota