Proposal for solving CD Size problems

Brandon Holtsclaw imbrandon at kubuntu.org
Tue Sep 26 19:23:03 BST 2006

I'd also like to add a few things to this, I would /really/ like to see this
happen though, but some things we can do that I dont think is too painfull
are :

- Increase the "Desktop" ( e.g. LiveCD ) to a DVD size
  You mentioned apple and MS do this, and that is true but apple ( atleaste
with 10.4 , 10.5 isnt released yet and we wont know untill then ) apple also
provides a 4 cd install also , but this obviously wouldent work with
a "LiveCD" so in addition to the LiveDVD i propose 2 "alternate" installs

- alternate install one, a 3 or 4 cd set covering exactly whats installed from
the dvd but not in a livedvd form, e.g alternate install

- alternate install two a single cd with the "base" system ( not a business
card or such ) but what was previously called a "server install" or in edgy
a "cli install" and the rest can be then obtained from the internet, this cd
also wouldent have to be deritive specific as it wouldent have the *-desktop
etc etc files

so we would end up with 3 sets at each release :

1) a LiveDVD
2) a alternate CD complete "set" ( of whats on the dvd )
3) a single CD base install

again same disclaimer as scott, these are just my 0.2c
Cheers
--
Brandon Holtsclaw
imbrandon at kubuntu.org