Will Firefox no longer be named Firefox?

Hervé Fache Herve at lucidia.net
Tue Sep 26 17:00:46 BST 2006

On 9/26/06, Paul Marshall <soudak at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/26/06, Travis Watkins <alleykat at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 1) We patch it so it doesn't do autoupdate.
> > 2) We do security patches, not updating to the latest versions.
> > 3) We patch it to use the human theme.
> > 4) I believe we turn on more GNOME integration stuff then upstream.
>
> Ah, that makes more sense.  Again, I have to apologize for my newness, but
> could someone point me to some conversations, or inform me, as to why
> firefox is patched to turn autoupdate off.

Because it's not Windows, it's Ubuntu Linux: the software is not
managed by Mozilla or any other third party, but by Ubuntu. This is
why it integrates and works correctly in *Ubuntu, and this is why
Ubuntu can claim mid- or even long-term support on it.

> My initial email still stands for #2 -- why wouldn't someone (including
> ubuntu developers) with a security patch work directly with the moz
> foundation?

Not for older unsupported versions (like 1.0.7). The policy at Moz' is
to force users to update to the latest stuff, not to support older
versions, which causes loads of problems (extensions compatibility,
potential need for re-newed human theme, you name it).

<snip>

Hervé.