Accounting/Bookkeeping software (was Re: [ubuntu-marketing] Ubuntu software packages)

john levin john at technolalia.org
Mon Sep 25 11:21:15 BST 2006

Stan Jordan wrote:

> I have just one concern with Ubuntu ( which I love...both the software
> and the philosophy) which is, if Ubuntu is to be used by
> micro/small/medium sized business, which I would suggest represents a
> huge number of people worldwide, why is there no bookkeeping/accounting
> software listed in the download repository. This is the absolutely
> essential tool of any business, and without it all of these thousands of
> businesses cannot change to Ubuntu as there is nothing in the Ubuntu
> repository they can use. Grisbi is on the list, but is only for personal
> finance. Open source accounting software, Debian based, is available. (
> Quasar, being one example ) I see people trying to install this on
> Ubuntu and the problems they are experiencing from the Ubuntu/Quasar
> blog. I am at a complete loss to understand why this very large and
> important segment of the market that Ubuntu could easily exploit to
> promote the OS is being totally ignored. People like myself are forced
> to use Suse or Linspire to get this type of software as a simple
> download/install.
>
> Please have someone in your organisation explore this area of software
> which would lead to a huge increase in the number of Ubuntu devotees.

I presume the reason that Quasar isn't in the Ubuntu repositories, is
due to licensing. I can't find it in the Debian repos either.

Accounting software is one of those black holes in the free software
world, all the worse for being essential to many, and is additionally
complicated by the need for localized variations, due to differences in
tax regimes etc. As such, it's really something that Canonical/Ubuntu
should take a leadership role in.

Not sure this list is the place to discuss this; I'm cc'ing the
developers list about this.

And we should ask SABDFL what he uses ;)

John