About Firefox 1.99+2.0b2+dfsg-1ubuntu1 (and other).

didier . did447 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 15:28:46 BST 2006

On 9/23/06, Rocco Stanzione <grasshopper at linuxkungfu.org> wrote:
> On Friday 22 September 2006 12:25 pm, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > didier . writes ("About Firefox 1.99+2.0b2+dfsg-1ubuntu1 (and other)."):
> > > Is releasing so many big packages a Friday  a good idea?
> >
> > Many packages (this one included) were uploaded during the Knot 3
> > freeze, and their release was delayed until the queues were unfrozen
> > again.  I think you're always going to get a lump of stuff just after
> > a thaw.
>
> I'd like to add that the practice of avoiding that is to prevent datacenters
> from having to do risky upgrades on a Monday morning, or to have to go a
> whole weekend without a critical security update - things we needn't be
> worrying about with an unstable development product that has no place in a
> datacenter.

You're right but Ubuntu users time is not free. More exactly the time
they wasted on this one (12 duplicates and 40 comments) would have
been better spent on finding new bugs.

By releasing big changes on Friday these mistakes (this time it was
Firefox but it doesn't matter) aren't fixed for two days.

Didier