How long will 64bit Ubuntu users have to wait?

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 22 22:22:19 BST 2006

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 10:37:32PM +0200, Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:
> On vr, 2006-09-22 at 12:51 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > At that point, there will be no need to use 32-bit software on your
> > desktop, and technology for supporting mixed systems will be obsolete.
>
> And again we will not have learned from the past. Just wait for the
> 64-to-128-bit transition.

Building infrastructure for that transition today would be like keeping a
car garaged and maintained for the next century years because I might want
to take a drive for the turn of the century.

We'll cross that bridge when we come to it, and Ubuntu won't look much like
it does today when we do.  It's entirely probable that we'll have replaced
every relevant component of the packaging system by then.

--
 - mdz