How long will 64bit Ubuntu users have to wait?

Kilz _ kilzzz at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 22 19:33:49 BST 2006

>From: Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com>
>To: ubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com
>Subject: Re: Re: How long will 64bit Ubuntu users have to wait?
>Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 10:20:12 -0700
>
>On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 06:36:09PM -0500, Kilz _ wrote:
> > Just how long do you expect 32bit systems to be in a majority when even
>the
> > cheap processosrs are now 64bit like the celeron D? How long are the
> > developers going to develop for what is rapidly becoming a thing of the
> > past.
>
>Hopefully not long.  When development shops like Adobe develop for 64-bit
>Linux, your problem will be solved. :-)
>
>--
>  - mdz
>
>--

I don't think I will hold my breath waiting for adobe to develop for 64bit
Linux. But with the release of Vista I do see more companies releasing 64bit
software for Microsoft's os. All my problems do not directly relate to
proprietary software. Wine is not proprietary, it runs proprietary software.
But the wine package is open source and in the 32bit version. Also the
proprietary software that is a problems is in the 32bit version. Said 32bit
applications can run on the 64bit version. But they don't "just work".
But how long do you think .deb based distributions (Ubuntu, Debian) will
continue to see 32bit as a priority over 64bit?