Do you pay attention to duplicate bug triaging?

Brad Bollenbach brad.bollenbach at pobox.com
Fri Sep 22 18:26:47 BST 2006

On Thu, 2006-21-09 at 22:37 +0200, Jan Claeys wrote:
> Op do, 21-09-2006 te 12:09 -0500, schreef Brad Bollenbach:
> > We've got issues with duplicate bug report spam, e.g.,
> [...]
> > One thing we're considering is sending out duplicate bug notifications
> > at all, and how we can improve or fine-tune that. How many of you find
> > these notifications useful:
> >
> >   a. a bug you're subscribed to (directly or indirectly) is marked a
> > dupe of another bug
> >
> >   b. another bug is marked as a dupe of a bug you're subscribed to
> > (directly or indirectly)
> >
> > and, if so, why are they useful?
> >
> > How much would it affect you if we just stopped sending those
> > notifications? What if we stopped sending only b.?
>
> If I were a developer (or someone else who somehow feels responsible for
> a package), I would want to receive both (the duplicate bug might
> contain very useful information).  When I just subscribe to a bug to
> track its development (i.e. to see if/when it's fixed), 'a' might be
> enough, but I wouldn't care about also receiving 'b'.

Right. The former use case is being weighed against the spam it creates.

> So I think a status quo would be good enough (and IMHO there are lots of
> much more important things in launchpad that need "fixing" ;-) ).

This is part of a larger issue being addressed with dupes but, for
heavily-duped bugs, in particular, it's been a source of much angst.
See, for example, the cries for help in
https://launchpad.net//bugs/47848 .

Anyway, we decided that we would try not generating b. notifications for
now (along with some other dupe-related changes), so stay tuned, and
we'll see how it works out.

Brad