Xsession script append to ~/.xsession-errors

Lea Gris lea.gris at noiraude.net
Thu Sep 21 08:50:08 BST 2006

Hello,

I ran into out of disk space in /home because of infinitely growing
~/.xsession-errors files.

It is caused by the /etc/X11/Xsession run script at line 94:

exec >>"$ERRFILE" 2>&1

This cause errors to be infinitely appended to the file making it grow
without limits.

The file in my home directory silently reached 15GB (Giga Bytes) during
the last months until it ran out of disk space.

I have manually edited /etc/X11/Xsession and changed the offending line to:
exec >"$ERRFILE" 2>&1

If there is already a bug report on-line please gives references.

Regards,

--
Léa Gris - http://www.noiraude.net/