NetworkManager?

Andreas Schildbach andreas at schildbach.de
Wed Sep 20 19:37:09 BST 2006

Alex Mauer wrote:

>>>  * you need networking to work before a user logs in
>> I'm not totally sure about this one. If you have such requirements, it's
>> likely to be on a server and hence out of scope for network manager?
>
> Kerberos authentication is one case where this is needed, and not (only)
> on a server.

As far as I understand NM, it is a daemon that is loaded during init. It
could very well set up network connections at boot time, it only needs
to be configured somehow.

In a Kerberos environment, machines should perhaps be pre-installed with
a network manager configuration? If you install the system yourself, you
could set up the crucial connection with the Live-CD user, relying on
the installation process to migrate the connection?

Regards,

Andreas