How long will 64bit Ubuntu users have to wait?

Kilz _ kilzzz at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 20 14:21:12 BST 2006

>From: "Hervé Fache" <Herve at lucidia.net>
>To: ubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com
>Subject: Re: How long will 64bit Ubuntu users have to wait?
>Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 09:35:50 -0300
>
>I thought the brand new Intel Core Duo was 32 bits?
>
>What is more, I live in Brazil where I try to convert as many people
>as I can to *Ubuntu, and you don't find 64-bit systems over here. They
>would be out of people's wallet reach anyway...
>
>Really, your speech is first world-centered (with all due respect).
>32-bit systems are here for a long time still.
>
>That is not to say that we should ignore 64-bit archs, of course!
>
>Hervé.

Core duo is 32bit, core duo2 is 64 and avilable. I didnt say there were no
32bit processors still. I said there were few of them. As time goes on there
will be less. Right now the Celeron, intels lowest chip is 64bit. AMD doesnt
make a 32bit processor. Granted the old boxes will be around for awhile. But
they are becoming yesterdays technology in my part of the world.