How long will 64bit Ubuntu users have to wait?

wyyyrm at wyyyrm at
Sun Sep 10 00:05:53 BST 2006

I will join Kilz and ask for more attention to the 64bit platform. If you check the 64bit section in ubuntuforums, you see that most of the posts there are from users who are curious about trying out Ubuntu AMD64. However, the majority of them get frustrated or are driven away, because other users say 64bit is not well supported or is too hard to get working.

Yes, firefox and its plugins are one example -- perhaps the best one --, but then again most binaries around are compiled for 32bit. Even open source ones. It's hard to expect that the average user will be interested in RTFM to compile just a small program or dozens of libraries for that program. Yet, as Kilz showed, we could have multiarch programs in Ubuntu.

That barrier creates, of course, a perverse circle in which amd64 is less "supported" because it has fewer users to debug it, but fewer users debug it because they think amd64 requires too much work. Pretty much all recent processors are 64bit that are used to run 32bit. It would be nice to take advantage of that.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a chroot-lover myself and don't mind compiling. But I do believe that Ubuntu has a big appeal to the public in that its packages just work. They don't have to worry about dependency-hell, for example. So, I guess my question would be: what can we do to help Ubuntu AMD64 get multiarch? If that's not feasible right now, what other solutions do we have?

Best regards :-)

This message was sent on behalf of wyyyrm at at