upstart -- call for wider testing

David Farning dfarning at
Mon Sep 4 21:19:50 BST 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 20:49 +0100, Aigars Mahinovs wrote:
> On 9/4/06, David Farning <dfarning at> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 19:41 +0100, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > > On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 13:34 -0500, David Farning wrote:
> > > I'm not familar with sbackup, how does it operate?
> > >
> > It is a really simple backup program found in universe.  When testing
> > edgy, I just back up the home directoy and test until something breaks.
> > Then reinstall edgy and restore.
> Hi, I am the author of SBackup, I am glad that you find it useful. If
> you have problems, please ensure that you run 0.10 version. It is not
> in edgy of dapper yet (I am not sure why, the bug to ubuntu-archive
> has been open for a while :P), but it fixes a lot of problems from
> 0.9.
> > > If it's not operating from the boot sequence, I'm not sure upstart is
> > > responsible.  Have you tried restoring without it?
> SBackup is in no way operating in the boot sequence, so I am quite
> confident that it is not responsible for this problem. However I would
> be happy to help you debug the problem if it is somehow related.
> However I am blocked from installing edgy by a partitioner bug. I will
> have to install Dapper and upgrade :P

I did not mean to imply that sbackup was affecting the boot sequence.  I
meant that one should use extreme caution when testing things like
upstart that can render the system useless to such a degree that a full
restore is required.  Using a backup system that is not working 100%
correctly kind of violates that 'extreme caution rule.

Edgy has sbackup .9-1 in universe.  I'll install .10 and retry.

Attached is a screen shot of the attempted restore.

The sbackup window is frozen and the cpu is pegged at 100% for just over
4 hours now.  This after a reinstall of edgy knot2 and upgrade to
current via synaptic.  Then calling gksudo simple-restore-gnome to run
in a terminal.