dash ( and the new world order )

Ante Karamatic ivoks at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 15 09:18:08 BST 2006

Na Pet, 2006-09-15 u 02:54 -0500, Brandon Holtsclaw je napisao:

> init.d yes but isn't edgy upstart now ( with only compliance until
> edgy+2 iirc )

But upstart executes same scripts which init executes also. Bringing
back bash instead od dash would result in slower boot with both init and
upstart. Upstart doesn't speed up booting (it can/could be side effect,
but not main goal). Booting is faster due dash.

> I know its not "right" for them to expect non-posix from a /bin/sh but
> it has been there for so long on so many systems its become defacto and
> there isn't anything wrong with either way, I'm saying we just might
> want to spend atleaste __one__ BoF on this in November since the "new
> world order" of upstart and that was the main reason for the switch,
> then alot of ubuntu deltas can be dropped etc

ISV are confused why their scripts/programs run on distributionX, but
not on distributionY (or for one user, but not for the other one on the
same system). This is not their fault. This is, IMHO, fault of Linux
distributions not conforming to standards. When we do that, it should be
easier for them and us.

--
Ante Karamatić <ivoks at ubuntu.com>
PGP: 0xD3BDA225