RapidReboot and kexec

Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 13 04:06:43 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 11:48 -0400, jeff.schroeder2 at us.army.mil wrote:

> Keybuk, I don't have an edgy system yet to play with
> but will soon. What would be the best way to
> integrate this with upstart? As I am very new to
> all of this, where should I start?

As outlined on IRC:

Shutdown, with upstart, works as follows:

 - the "shutdown" event is emitted, so that (teardown-exempt) jobs can
   be stopped

 - once that event has been handled, a second event, named by
   the /sbin/shutdown binary, is emitted

 - this event is usually "power-off" for -P, "system-halt" for -H,
   "reboot" for -r, etc.

 - a job called by these events runs /sbin/reboot which performs the
   reboot() syscall

Adding a "quicker reboot" option is trivial:

 - add -Q (or whatever arg picked) to /sbin/shutdown

 - have that request that the "quick-reboot" event be emitted after the
   "shutdown" event

 - ensure that any important jobs (unmounting filesystems, etc) that are
   run "on reboot" are also run "on quick-reboot"

 - add a job that runs kexec instead of /sbin/reboot

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
scott at ubuntu.com