Why is libgtk deb under main/g and not under main/libg? (?OT)

Michael Bienia michael at vorlon.ping.de
Tue Sep 12 18:36:35 BST 2006

On 2006-09-12 22:27:16 +0530, Shriramana Sharma wrote:
> I had to manually download libgtk, libatk and libpango for some
> reasons. So I searched the pool for libgtk under libg, but it is not
> there. Similarly libatk and libpango are not under liba and libp. They
> are under main/g/, main/a/ and main/p/ respectively.

The directory name depends on the source package name:
- libgtk2.0-0: source is gtk+2.0 -> main/g/
- libatk1.0-0: source is atk1.0 -> main/a/
- libpango1.0-0: source is pango1.0 -> main/p/

> But libcairo is placed under libc and not under c.

The source is libcairo -> main/libc/

> I do not understand why this disparate situation is. When is a libx*
> package put under libx/ and when under x/ ?

If the source package name begins with lib it get libx and x else.

HTH

Michael