bug 58002

Aurelien Naldi aurelien.naldi at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 22:58:46 BST 2006

Le samedi 09 septembre 2006 à 21:34 +0200, Jan Claeys a écrit :
> Op vr, 08-09-2006 te 16:14 -0700, schreef Matt Zimmerman:
> > We should hope so.  Unfortunately, the issue is not straightforward.
> > sudo's default behaviour does what the user expects in some cases, but
> > not in others.
> >
> > For an example of the former, compare "sudo gedit /etc/motd" to
> > "sudo -H gedit /etc/motd".
>
> What's the difference between those two that might cause problems?

Hi,

I did knew about this option but from the man, sudo -H sets the HOME to
this of the target user.

In the first case, root will change config files within the user's home,
which might lead to config files that the users might no more be allowed
to change
In the second case this will not happen, but gedit will use settings
from the root account which might also be annoying (but still seems
better).

regards.

--
Aurelien