CD image size recovery suggestions

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 6 19:58:57 BST 2006

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 01:24:47PM +0200, Frank Schoep wrote:
> I'm sure that my following suggestion is already considered for Edgy,
> but I thought it wouldn't hurt to bring this up again.
>
> During Dapper I proposed recompressing PNGs in various packages to
> save disk space in installed versions and CD images. I heard some
> talk about this already being done, but there's still room for
> improvement. I did some initial analysis this midday which is far
> from complete or optimal, but provides some insight in the numbers.

We should do this straight away for all Ubuntu-native content.

For the others, we should implement a generalized approach to automatically
recompress them during the build.  I think it would make sense for this to
be incorporated into debhelper via dh_compress, since this should all be
lossless.

Henrik: please see that example-content gets this treatment.

Daniel: please look into recompressing PNGs in dh_compress.

--
 - mdz