Followup: Lack of support for soft RAID

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 20:07:12 BST 2006

Arguments about which RAID setup is best aside I think it definitely
makes sense to support fake-raid out of the box if it's reasonably
easy to do so.  If Fedora can do it so can we.  It sounds like
low-hanging fruit.

Is fake-raid actually worse than software raid in any way?  From what
I've heard it sounds like fake-raid is software raid except that the
configuration is stored in BIOS.  Please don't answer that question -
it is purely rhetorical.  No more flame wars.

In any case it isn't for us to force a user to either use software
raid or figure out fake-raid on their own.  Software raid vs fakeraid
sounds like a completely philosophical choice.  If the user is already
using fakeraid for whatever reason that's their business.