Non destructive install is important.

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Fri Sep 1 19:17:28 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 07:46 -0700, Ian Soutar wrote:
> I have mentioned this before ... is there a solution?
>
> The new install of 6.06.1 release insists on formatting the / drive.
> However all distributions of linux allow you leave it unformatted in
> case you want to preserve something.

Using the alternative install CD, it's possible to do this (unless I'm
mistaken, I've done this before). It may be possible with the regular
desktop CD, too, but I've never done that.

> I believe this is a bug because it forces me to format the drive and
> restore it from an external drive. Now I can do this and have been force
> to in the last install.

Which is certainly a very good idea. Even if you don't format the disk
when installing Ubuntu, you're still going to be overwriting a _lot_ of
data. So you're still required to backup before installing.

> However for the first-time user of linux this is perplexing and it
> should be as easy as version 6.06.

How does this request make sense unless you already have an existing
linux partition? This is not meant as an adversarial question, but an
actual point of confusion for me.

--
Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>
suppressingfire.org