Ubuntu shortcut spec? (Was: Urgent call for testing: Firefox 2.0RC3)

Arwyn Hainsworth arwynh+ubuntu at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 10:09:58 BST 2006

On 24/10/06, Mark Howard <mh at tildemh.com> wrote:

> On 10/23/06, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > Control+W is a traditional shortcut for deleting a word in terminal
> > interfaces.  I have to change this in several programs in Ubuntu in
> order to
> > avoid closing tabs and windows inadvertently.  However, I accept that
> this
> > is probably a more reasonable default for most desktop users.
>
> In Gnome, Control+W is the standard shortcut for closing the current
> document (see
> http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/2.0/input-keyboard.html#standard-shortcuts
> ).
> Have your efforts been focused around all applications in Ubuntu, or
> just as you say several programs? Having an inconsistent desktop is
> far worse than having a default behaviour which some users are not use
> to, IMHO.
> For completeness, control-delete and control-backspace are used for
> deleting words (works almost everywhere) and control-cursor keys is
> used for navigating one word at a time.

The current shortcut situation seems to be a down right mess. With half the
applications following Gnome, the others doing random things of their own.
As a result some people end up closing windows, going back pages and getting
really frustrated. Ubuntu is definitely not a consistent desktop shortcut
wise.

I think this needs fixing. So I'm suggesting the following: Someone sits
down and writes a Ubuntu Shortcut Spec. This spec should define what
shortcuts do what in Ubuntu and all programs should be patched to follow the
spec unconditionally.

This sound simple, but due to the vast number of conflicting shortcuts
people are used to, this will be a very heated subject. The end result
however, will be worth it I believe.

Arwyn