Regarding More robust configuration of the X server

Richard Houston rhouston at rlhc.net
Mon Oct 30 04:15:25 GMT 2006

Hi all,

Was cruising around Launchpad and found the entry for "More robust
configuration of the X server" See
https://features.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/bullet-proof-x

What about the inclusion of kudzu? This way if any change to the video
card or monitor would be detected and maybe a X config util called under
a minimal VGA based xserver where the new configs would be probed and
then verified by the end user, this would also be a good place to add a
duel monitor setup program. Once this was finished the xserver could be
restarted with the new configs. If there is an error or what ever then
the VGA server would be started at a low resolution. I find from the end
user  point of view that a minimal resolution is better then a blank
screen. I recently dealt with this with my dad. He was rather bother by
the fact that he had a blank screen which he thought was a hardware
failure. When I talked him through a dpakg-reconfigure he was a little
overwhelmed.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Thanks all.

Also I am new the the list and launchpad so if I am not posting my
comments, ideas and the such in the right place please let me know.

Best regards,
-Richard Houston
-R.L.H.  Consulting
-E-Mail  rhouston at rlhc.net