"Reduce the delta with upstream" week

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Sun Oct 29 23:30:38 GMT 2006

You will probably agree that having a small delta with upstream and
talking with them about the changes we do is a good thing: we work on
the same codebase, everybody benefits from the fixes, extra people (and
people knowing the code better) can comment on the changes and how they
are done, etc. We usually try to work with them as much as possible but
for different reasons (difference of schedule and priorities, people
being too busy, etc) we often ship some changes in a distribution
specific way too.

The start of a new cycle seems a good time to spend some time to catch
up with that, that's why we will work next week  (from octobre the 30th)
on reducing the number of distribution specific changes.

The Desktop Team already has a wiki page for that:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/UpstreamDelta. Other teams might be
interest to do the same

Things you can do if you want to participate:
- forward the changes that should go upstream to their bug tracker,
list, maintainer, etc
- forward the changes that can be useful for Debian to Debian
- update https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/UpstreamDelta and the other
similar pages created on the wiki

If you have any question or want to talk about some changes applied to a
package feel free to join #ubuntu-bugs on IRC (or any team channel like
#ubuntu-desktop) or to comment on the corresponding launchpad page

Sebastien Bacher