Is this a dsfg violation?

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Sun Oct 29 17:01:00 GMT 2006

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 03:41:43PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Joel Bryan Juliano writes ("Is this a dsfg violation?"):
> > I grabbed a fresh firefox source from edgy, and a quick grep gives already
> > patched files outside debian/ directory.
> >
> > firefox-1.99+2.0rc2+dfsg$ grep -lR -i "ubuntu" *
> > browser/app/firefox-branding.js
>
> I agree with the other reasons people have for rejecting this
> criticism, but there is another one too:
>
> The modifications to all of those files are in the .diff.gz; the
> .orig.tar.gz is precisely the upstream source tarball with the
> `other-licenses' directory removed.

This doesn't match my observations.  In working with the firefox package, I
found the following differences between the upstream tarball and the "DFSG"
one:

 7zstub/CVS/Entries                                |    1
 7zstub/CVS/Repository                             |    1
 7zstub/CVS/Root                                   |    1
 7zstub/CVS/Tag                                    |    1
 7zstub/firefox/7zSD.sfx                           |binary
 7zstub/firefox/CVS/Entries                        |    2
 7zstub/firefox/CVS/Repository                     |    1
 7zstub/firefox/CVS/Root                           |    1
 7zstub/firefox/CVS/Tag                            |    1
 CVS/Entries                                       |    2
 CVS/Repository                                    |    1
 CVS/Root                                          |    1
 CVS/Tag                                           |    1
 branding/CVS/Entries                              |    1
 branding/CVS/Repository                           |    1
 branding/CVS/Root                                 |    1
 branding/CVS/Tag                                  |    1
 branding/firefox/CVS/Entries                      |   34 --
 branding/firefox/CVS/Repository                   |    1
 branding/firefox/CVS/Root                         |    1
 branding/firefox/CVS/Tag                          |    1
 branding/firefox/Header.bmp                       |binary
 branding/firefox/LICENSE                          |    6
 branding/firefox/Makefile.in                      |   69 -----
 branding/firefox/Watermrk.bmp                     |binary
 branding/firefox/background.png                   |binary
 branding/firefox/branding.nsi                     |   52 ---
 branding/firefox/content/CVS/Entries              |   11
 branding/firefox/content/CVS/Repository           |    1
 branding/firefox/content/CVS/Root                 |    1
 branding/firefox/content/CVS/Tag                  |    1
 branding/firefox/content/Makefile.in              |   11
 branding/firefox/content/about.png                |binary
 branding/firefox/content/aboutCredits.png         |binary
 branding/firefox/content/aboutFooter.png          |binary
 branding/firefox/content/contents.rdf             |   13
 branding/firefox/content/icon48.png               |binary
 branding/firefox/content/icon64.png               |binary
 branding/firefox/content/jar.mn                   |   11
 branding/firefox/content/searchconfig.properties  |    9
 branding/firefox/content/uninstall.properties     |    6
 branding/firefox/default.xpm                      |  299 ----------------------
 branding/firefox/disk.icns                        |binary
 branding/firefox/document-os2.ico                 |binary
 branding/firefox/document.icns                    |binary
 branding/firefox/document.ico                     |binary
 branding/firefox/document.png                     |binary
 branding/firefox/dsstore                          |binary
 branding/firefox/firefox-os2.ico                  |binary
 branding/firefox/firefox.icns                     |binary
 branding/firefox/firefox.ico                      |binary
 branding/firefox/header.png                       |binary
 branding/firefox/license.r                        |  115 --------
 branding/firefox/locales/CVS/Entries              |    4
 branding/firefox/locales/CVS/Repository           |    1
 branding/firefox/locales/CVS/Root                 |    1
 branding/firefox/locales/CVS/Tag                  |    1
 branding/firefox/locales/Makefile.in              |   55 ----
 branding/firefox/locales/browserconfig.properties |    3
 branding/firefox/locales/en-US/CVS/Entries        |    3
 branding/firefox/locales/en-US/CVS/Repository     |    1
 branding/firefox/locales/en-US/CVS/Root           |    1
 branding/firefox/locales/en-US/CVS/Tag            |    1
 branding/firefox/locales/en-US/brand.dtd          |    3
 branding/firefox/locales/en-US/brand.properties   |   22 -
 branding/firefox/locales/jar.mn                   |    6
 branding/firefox/mozicon128.png                   |binary
 branding/firefox/mozicon16.xpm                    |  191 --------------
 branding/firefox/mozicon50.xpm                    |  299 ----------------------
 branding/firefox/pref/CVS/Entries                 |    2
 branding/firefox/pref/CVS/Repository              |    1
 branding/firefox/pref/CVS/Root                    |    1
 branding/firefox/pref/CVS/Tag                     |    1
 branding/firefox/pref/firefox-branding.js         |   15 -
 branding/firefox/watermark.png                    |binary
 branding/firefox/wizHeader.bmp                    |binary
 branding/firefox/wizHeader2.bmp                   |binary
 branding/firefox/wizHeader3.bmp                   |binary
 branding/firefox/wizHeader4.bmp                   |binary
 branding/firefox/wizHeaderRTL.bmp                 |binary
 branding/firefox/wizWatermark.bmp                 |binary
 branding/firefox/wizWatermark2.bmp                |binary
 branding/firefox/wizWatermark3.bmp                |binary
 branding/firefox/wizWatermark4.bmp                |binary
 84 files changed, 1272 deletions(-)

--
 - mdz