SPEC : Write Support For NTFS

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Sun Oct 29 16:58:42 GMT 2006

On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 03:16:54AM +0100, Florent Mertens wrote:
> Le vendredi 27 octobre 2006 à 11:15 -0700, Matt Zimmerman a écrit :
> > The trouble with this, as I noted on the spec, is that the upstream authors
> > of the relevant tools state quite clearly that they are neither ready nor
> > intended for prime time.  We shouldn't take risks with our users' data with
> > software which is specifically contraindicated for general use by its
> > authors.
> >

> I actually wrote this spec with the help of Szabolcs Szakacsits (the
> author of ntfs-3g) so he is aware of it. Saying that ntfs-3g is not
> ready for prime time is right and wrong :

"Please Note: This beta version should currently be used for testing purposes
only, we will release stable packages as soon as possible."
- www.linux-ntfs.org

> But, in any way, i don't think that this specs is too much ambitious (but i might be wrong).
> The intention is not to make it default (which should be a big error), but
> - to make it easily installable ( the 'easily' can be discuss)
> - to make possible to mount external device with ntfs-3g, which should fix
>
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/pmount/+bug/63271
>
> And the implementation plan start with a condition :
> "as soon as *a stable release is provide*"

I have no objection to making it easy to install and enable, but this
requires the participation of an Ubuntu developer who uses ntfs-3g regularly
and so will look after it and test it.

--
 - mdz