Server GUI Configuration Tools

William.Tu at dlink.com William.Tu at dlink.com
Mon Oct 23 17:48:57 BST 2006

I've been playing around quite a bit with the Ubuntu LAMP 6.06 server
since it was last released and have explored the GUI side quite
extensively.  Aside from the commercial products such as cPanel, Ensim and
Plesk, the open source packages such as Webmin,  SysCP, Web-cp, VHCS and
EZAdmin are all very good.

However, it might be good to point out if the GUI will be used for
specific application set-ups.  For example, the Ubuntu LAMP install
scenario calls for a web hosting or application hosting set of packages.
Packages such as ISPConfig is good for this type of environment.  Are we
adding the GUI for Sysadmins on a LAN or for WAN-based enterprise
applications...

Another thing I've noticed is that Ubuntu support has not been very strong
with these packages, and the Debian packages are often touch and go when
installed in an Ubuntu release.  I've had to move a recent project into a
CentOS platform in order to get the proper packages operating properly.
There is definitely a need to work more closely with the development
groups in these communities.

wmt

Simon Hepburn <sth at blueyonder.co.uk>
Sent by: ubuntu-devel-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com
10/23/2006 09:24 AM

ubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com
cc

Subject
Re: Server GUI Configuration Tools

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 11:48 -0400, Ivan Krstić wrote:
> Florian Hackenberger wrote:
> > What about taking webmin and improving it around the remaining rough
edges? If
> > configures correctly webmin is safe and quite powerful.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2006-September/020471.html

Any opinions on ebox anyone?

http://www.ebox-platform.com/

Only found out about it a week ago, have not been tempted to try it yet
myself.

Simon Hepburn