SPEC : Write Support For NTFS

Florent Mertens flomertens at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 13:44:12 BST 2006

Le jeudi 19 octobre 2006 à 12:53 +0200, Krzysztof Lichota a écrit :
> Daniel Koć napisał(a):
> > Of those 3 the most important for me is missing chkdsk/fsck.ntfs. I had
> > the situation, where Windows XP was not able to boot, so shared
> > Thunderbird and Firefox data folders on NTFS partition was not accesible
> > for normal rw operations. If the problems was not big, mounting with
> > "force" option was enough, but sometimes ntfs-3g didn't like to mount at
> > all, no matter if "force" was present. IIRC that was when filesystem
> > checking was required - quite common situation, I think.
>
> Is it possible to run Windows checkdisk utility using Wine?
> This would solve the problem.

I guess wine don't have the needed module to do that.
In fact this was consider by Jan Kratochvil as part of the captive NTFS
project :

http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/doc/TODO.pm#todo_fsck

But the project seems quite dead know.

It is also in the todo list of the linux-ntfs team :

http://wiki.linux-ntfs.org/doku.php?id=ntfsck
http://wiki.linux-ntfs.org/doku.php?id=todo:ntfsprogs#ntfsck

But there is not yet lot's of progress.

> > As for scarying users with software "based on reverse engineering" -
> > AFAIK Samba and Wine follow the same principle.
>
> I completely agree.
> BTW. What alternative do we have? Forcing Microsoft to port their driver
> to Linux or providing documentation? Be reasonable.

I'm with you on that point, but lot's of people strongly disagree.
I started a poll on ubuntuforums to know what people thinks,

and even it seams to be in the good direction, there is still some
strong reaction :

"I won't use it unless MS opens its spec and it's built on an open spec,
because it's data integrity that's at stake, and I don't want to rely on
reverse engineered or emulated support to perform such an essential and
basic function as writing data to my hard disk. Which in practice means
I'll never use it."

Anyway, i thinks the main blocker is the chkdsk stuff.

Regards,

Flo