RFC: EasyWirelessDrivers Spec

m c markc.lists at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 18 22:47:13 BST 2006

Hi all,

I would appreciate if people would comment on this:
http://features.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/easy-wireless-drivers

(full spec: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EasyWirelessDrivers )

A spec aimed at improved the experience of Ubuntu for those of us with
ndiswrapper requiring wireless network cards.

Super hardware support is one of Ubuntu's great features, and is of
special priority for Feisty according to the sabdfl.

Unfortunately due to a lack of open drivers, cards needing ndiswrapper
are difficult at best for new users to get working, especially
considering many of the usual support channels may be unavailable (due
to lack of Internet access). Difficulties with wireless support seems
to be a major source of frustration with new Linux adopters, and a
major cause of users deciding against keeping Ubuntu when they first
try it out.

This spec aims to reduce the hassle, and make setting up the wireless
card as easy as is possible. Any further ideas on how this experience
can be improved for users would be warmly welcomed.

I would also greatly appreciate if someone going to UDS-MTV would be
willing to take up discussion of this topic as I cannot make it.
Anyone taking up this request will receive a genuine pony or fawn (or
teenage ninja turtle) of their choice.*

Many thanks,
Mark

*Bribes may be stuffed. Participation necessary.