libhowl-avahi-compat0

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Sun Oct 15 12:54:22 BST 2006

On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 09:59:54PM +0800, Trent Lloyd wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 08:44:03PM -0800, Joel Bryan Juliano wrote:
> >   I like to ask why libhowl-avahi-compat0 isn't compiled with gaim?
>
> Do you mean 'why gaim isn't compiled with libhowl-avahi-compat0'?
>
> For a start, last check the gaim zeroconf module was relatively useless
> and just showed state, you couldn't actually message [if this has
> changed I'd love for someone to let me know]
>
> Secondly on the Ubuntu side of things, libavahi-howl-compat0 is in the
> 'universe' respository, thus gaim cannot depend on it.

This is a consequence, not the reason (it's not that hard to move
binaries from universe to main once something depends on it). However,
back when we first moved avahi into main, I was explicitly told with my
archive administrator hat on that libavahi-compat-howl0 should be left
in universe. Unfortunately I no longer recall the reason, but it's
probably in the #ubuntu-devel IRC archive.