-generic vs -386

Travis Watkins alleykat at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 17:35:39 BST 2006

On 10/12/06, Lukas Sabota <punkrockguy318 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Is there any difference between the -generic kernel and the -386 kernel?
> If not, why are there two of the same thing in the repos?
>
> -generic is installed by default, but nvidia-glx depends on the -386
> kernel.
>
> Could someone enlighten me?

-generic has SMP support and -386 has certain drivers that don't work
with SMP. As far as I know that's the only difference. nvidia-glx
depends on linux-restricted-modules for either 386 or generic but if
you don't have the generic version installed already apt will install
the 386 one which in turn pulls in the 386 kernel.

--
Travis Watkins
http://www.realistanew.com