Avahi init script fun

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Fri Oct 13 10:20:42 BST 2006

Hi Tollef,

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 10:59:51AM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> * Trent Lloyd
>
> | The only point of confusing I can see coming out of this is that avahi
> | might start from 2 spots, but that's really no worse than now because
> | they might not realise its started by dbus anyway and link it into rc2.d
> | etc
>
> Is there any reason we can't rely on dbus activation and get rid of
> the init script completely?

Avahi isn't designed to do this it needs to run all the time not when
something requires it on the bus.

> Also, it's too late for those changes now; the bugs aren't even
> targetted for 6.10 yet.  Generally, if you want something to be
> considered important for a release: a) target it to the release, b)
> make sure it gets attention before the final freeze in a release
> cycle.

Well this change was made relatively late in the release cycle so
user bugs have only really started popping up in the last week or so.

Is it still possible to get this in?

I'm thinking if we go with solution 2, we can do this in a *really*
simple manner that has very small chance of breaking things;

Move /etc/dbus-1/event.d/25avhai-daemon from being a symlink, to be a
*copy* of the current /etc/init.d/avahi-daemon

Modify /etc/init.d/avahi-daemon not to do the default checking.

I think this would work, whats the liklihood of that and/or what kind of
approval would that need?

Cheers,
Trent

> --
> Tollef Fog Heen                                                        ,''`.
> UNIX is user friendly, it's just picky about who its friends are      : :' :
>                                                                       `. `'
>                                                                         `-

Trent Lloyd <lathiat at bur.st>
Bur.st Networking Inc.