Is Ubuntu going to adapt Ice Weasel?

t u towsonu2003 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 05:30:56 BST 2006

Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 11:04:38PM -0400, t u wrote:
>> I don't think that's relevant. the probability of this being
>> enforced is enough to refute the *previous* email's arguments
>> argument.
>
> When it comes to trademarks, enforcement is entirely the point.

Am I misunderstanding stuff here? I think you cut too much out while
responding and thus miss the context. Here is the original discussion:

---------------
On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 18:00 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
>>> Can you think of any other piece of software whose upstreams have
>>>  imposed trademark restrictions on the normal name of the
>>> software in this way ?

>> Sure, how about Apache and their httpd server?

>> From their faq:

>> May I call my modified code 'Apache'? In a word, no. You may,
>> however, use phrasing such as 'based on Apache', 'powered by
>> Apache', or 'based on Apache technology'.

> [you] Can you point at any cases of this actually being enforced?

I don't think that's relevant. the probability of this being enforced is
enough to refute the *previous* email's argument

The original poster doesn't ask anything about enforcement. It asks
whether anyone is imposing trademarks. the faq demonstrates apache does.
No one, at this point of the original discussion, was interested in
actual enforcement, as far as wordings go.
--
Please scan all attachments for viruses.
Or (though you might like Rodin) you might as well avoid "The Gates of