OT:looking for boot speedup kernel patch

jeff.schroeder2 at us.army.mil jeff.schroeder2 at us.army.mil
Wed Oct 11 20:06:53 BST 2006

> From: Srecko Morovic <smorovic at gmail.com>

...snip...

> The patch is supposed to hook into FS (ext3) code
> and log how data is read from disk during system
> startup and then reorder the data so it is linear
> on disk during next boot.

I *think* you are talking about boot profiling.

Try this:
1.) From grub, press 'e' on the kernel you want
to boot.
2.) At the very end, remove 'splash' and 'quiet'.
3.) Add 'profile' where splash and quiet were.
4.) Press 'b' to boot the system.

I can't remember who to give credit to for the
above trick, but it was from this Mailing List.

You might also try preload and prelink:
1.) sudo apt-get install preload prelink
2.) sudo sed -ie '/PRELINKING/s/unknown/yes/' /etc/default/prelink
3.) sudo /etc/cron.daily/prelink

Those 3 tricks will speed up your system boot and
day to day operations a bit.

Jeff Schroeder
Linux Systems Administrator
Ticketmaster, Inc.