Is Ubuntu going to adapt Ice Weasel?

George Farris farrisg at cc.mala.bc.ca
Wed Oct 11 16:04:34 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 19:11 -0400, Scott Abbey wrote:

> > What the Mozilla Foundation should do, IMHO, is certify Canonical to be
> > able to add security patches to the browser and push the change.  The
> > certification would be defined by a certain set of rules.  In other
> > words, Canonical would be bound to only do security or bug fix updates
> > and not feature additions or subtractions.  This way they could still
> > call it Firefox and even use the logo.  Would be a smart move on
> > Mozilla's part.  Keep the brand recognition including logo.
>
> The problem with all these suggestions (not just those above) is that it
> hinders the freedom of those who might use Ubuntu as the base for their own
> distribution. Software freedom isn't just about YOUR freedom. It's also about
> the freedom of your users to take what you've provided them and change it if
> they like, and then pass it on to someone else, who can then modify it if
> they like, etc.

I'm sorry but exactly how does it hinder my taking Ubuntu as a base and
building my own distribution?  There is nothing stopping me from doing
that, I just won't be able to call it Firefox that's all, same code
though.

I like the idea of Epiphany though, they just need to fix forms so they
remember fields, Otherwise Epiphany seems to work great.