Is Ubuntu going to adapt Ice Weasel?

Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) shot at hot.pl
Wed Oct 11 00:48:39 BST 2006

Scott Abbey:

> I, for one, use Ubuntu over another distribution (ie Fedora/Red Hat
> or Suse) because, in it's as-shipped form, it is entirely free.

Doesn’t Ubuntu install any restricted packages
by default, like linux-restricted-modules?

> I humbly submit that the Ubuntu community should follow
> their lead and keep Ubuntu FREE, in all senses of the word.

There’s always the option of IceWeasel in main, Firefox in restricted
(or multiverse, or commercial). On one hand, it would mean one more
browser to support; on the other, Firefox could then simply consist
of the pristine Mozilla sources (and there are people who say Mozilla
binaries are faster, and there’s this whole Pango enabling thing), with
a ‘no support by Canonical’ policy. The IceWeasel packages would have to
confict with Firefox ones, though (or does IceWeasel use something other
than ~/.mozilla/firefox?).

-- Shot
--
I look at what the phone company does and do the opposite.   -- Craig Newmark