Old spec w. no lovin'

t u towsonu2003 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 01:29:23 BST 2006

Krzysztof Lichota wrote:
> Andrew Jorgensen napisał(a):
>> On 10/7/06, Constantine Evans <constantine at evanslabs.org> wrote:
>>> We can't support most winmodems out of the box, because there are no
>>> free drivers, and companies like Conexant refuse to release specs under
>>> reasonable terms.
>> Unless I'm mistaken it's worse than this.  The whole concept of a
>> winmodem is that it's brain-dead and lets the computer work out how to
>> modulate and demodulate the signals.  Basically a win-modem is a
>> really simple sound-card.
>>
>> If someone knows of a win-modem for which there is a completely
>> open-source driver then please correct me.
>
> ALSA has some drivers for winmodems. Recently I have been installing
> driver for internal modem in laptop and to my surprise, instead of
> installing some smartlink-softmodem driver (as done in some older
> distributions) I had to enable alsa module for it (it had the same name
> as driver for sound card with "m" suffix).

You can check out how the modem drivers are installed for each modem
chipset (ok, almost each :)) at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto

unfortunately, I have no idea which driver is free, which one is
non-free, and which one is so non-free that it cannot even go into
restricted-modules package...

PS. I dont think that the issue of a braindead modem is relevant to
making it work out of the box. As for the resources it takes to keep the
braindead thing working, as an sl-modem-daemon user, I can say that it
is not much (~10% cpu usage on very high network traffic *with* dial up;
0% cpu usage if modem is _not_ in use).

thanks

--
Please scan all attachments for viruses.
Or (though you might like Rodin) you might as well avoid "The Gates of