libstdc++5 and gcc 3.3

John Richard Moser nigelenki at comcast.net
Mon Oct 9 20:43:24 BST 2006

Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 01:13:13AM +0800, Joel Bryan Juliano wrote:
>> I noticed that Edgy have 2 version of gcc compiler, there's gcc-4.1 and gcc-3.3
>> preinstalled. I like to remove gcc-3.3 but it depends on libstdc++5. Would
>> removing libstdc++5 break the default applications, because there's libstdc++6
>> currently installed.
>
> None of the default applications require it, but many third party C++
> applications do.

Can the ABI on this be rolled together into one library?  I recall doing
things like finding apps demanding libstdc++5 and symlinking 6 to the
.so they were looking for, which worked fine; to what extent it works
fine I don't know, eventually some app will go "I CAN'T FIND A SYMBOL I
WANT!!"

The four possibilities I see are thus:

 - Keep libstdc++5.  Safest, easiest option; but the library is 730K

 - Symlink or hardlink libstdc++6 to libstdc++5.  May work, may not,
   some apps will work with it but it is unknown (but likely) if any
   will outright fail.

 - Roll any libstdc++5 compatibility necessary and proper into
   libstdc++6.  Any action breaking v6 programs will be impossible; but
   ELF versioning allows this to be done feasibly.  Then
   symlink/hardlink.  Probably safe, probably a lot of work.

 - Produce a thin wrapper library that adds proper compatibility
   layers, and links to libstdc++6.  This is probably the safest and
   easiest option that avoids installing libstdc++5.

Not sure.  Lazy way out is always easiest.

- --

    new problems waiting out there.
                                                 -- Eric Steven Raymond

    We will enslave their women, eat their children and rape their
    cattle!
                  -- Bosc, Evil alien overlord from the fifth dimension