edgy dpkg installation and other errors

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Mon Oct 9 02:09:56 BST 2006

I've been having trouble all week installing edgy, attempting on various
hardware having nothing more in common than 2 HDs, ATI graphics, and i440BX
chipsets. As a result, one motherboard and CPU I pitched in the dumpster.

I finally got an ftp install to finish a couple hours ago without apparent
errors by selecting 'server vga=normal ide=nodma pci=noacpi noapic nolapic
nousb nopcmcia'. After that seemed to go OK, on a few boots I tried to
'apt-get install kubuntu-desktop'. That proceeded for while, then quit with
"E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)". This particular
time the problem was with libsnmp9 and openoffice.org-common. Partway up the
screen I see "corrupted filesystem tarfile - corrupted package archive".
I've seen many of these previously during the failed installations and
after. Is this a problem others are having?

The generic kernel was installed. Should I be using the 386 image with a PIII?

Also, fsck always segfaults, and about half the time on boot I get kernel
panic: "VFS: Cannot open root device unknown-block(0,0)".

Bash claims showmount not found. Shouldn't this be installed as part of any
server install?
--
"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him,
and I am helped."				Psalm 28:7 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409