rhythmbox 0.9.6 and edgy....

Matthew Nicholson sjoeboo at sjoeboo.com
Mon Oct 2 21:28:23 BST 2006

Okay, I know the universe freeze is in place, but, i have a few points
to make, so just hear me out:

rhythmbox 0.9.6 got released the other day. This release brings a bunch
of fixes/improvments, mainly more plugins, better tag-writing and
ipod-writing, local file support for album art, etc etc etc.

some of the features, which are now on by default, since they are more
stable, have been turned on in ubuntu in past builds (0.9.5 and further
back had tag-writing turned on, even though its was semi-functional, the
newest 0.9.5 build came down the pipe with the track-transfers and
ipod-writing turned on, even though upstream they were not by default).

so, point number one: things we used to turn on that were not default on
upstream, are now on, because they are more stable.

point two: gnome 2.16.1 is being sync'd if I am correct, and rhythmbox
IS the gnome music application.....

point three: it builds, which no dependency problems. on a clean install
an "apt-get build-dep rhythmbox", which, of course, pulled down all the
build deps for the 0.9.5 build in the repos. after this jsut a good
ole ./configure && make && make install did teh trick to get it built
and running.

point four: its a bit quicker, less buggy, comes with a whole slew of
updated translations, and, in a word, better.

So, as I said, I know the universe freeze is in effect, so, it isn't
"supposed" to happen. however, I'm asking for an exception, for the
points listed above. At the very least, I would like to ask if we (i am
more than willing to help if someone will guide a bit) look into
patching our build up to this, if thats even feasible...

I would hate to see an application that acme out 3 weeks to a month
before the release of edgy miss, jsut because it was a few days past the
deadline, but, I know that we need rules, and we can't make exceptions
for everything, for then we would end up with a rolling release date,
and would never really "release". All I ask is for some consideration
and explanation. Thanks

Regards,

--
Matthew Nicholson <sjoeboo at sjoeboo.com>