openoffice bashing [was Re: How long will 64bit Ubuntu users have to wait?]

Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 2 09:45:44 BST 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 04:35 -0400, t u wrote:

> If I were a programmer, I'd try to *fix* it instead of insulting its
> developers. even if fixing it would involve rewriting the code.

I don't think it should be fixed.  I think it should be thrown away
entirely.

It's not just slow, buggy, unstable and with a hideously inconsistent
interface -- it's also entirely unfriendly to use for anyone who hasn't
ever used an "office suite" before.

In fact, I think the entire "Office Suite" concept is flawed.  It should
be replaced by a set of simple and elegant programs that each work
independently but whose results can be combined to produce work.

Sadly I don't have time to work on anything like that right now ;)

Scott

--
Scott James Remnant
scott at ubuntu.com