wall of communication [was: Re: why did Ubuntu turn off kernel preemption in Edgy?]

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 30 00:44:05 GMT 2006

On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 09:46:20PM -0500, t u wrote:
> This and the closed-source driver discussions around here seem to
> indicate that there is a lag / wall of communication between what the
> developers are planning for a release and what the dedicated users want
> (or, are willing to do). I started to think that we need a third party
> to tell the users what the devels are after:
> 1. before the release and
> 2. before the important decisions are finalized[1]
>
> something like an announcement list (should be integrated with
> ubuntuforums.org) where subscribers will see messages like:
> "We will decide on whether we will make the users install closed-source
> drivers by default in one week. If you have any objections, please let
> us know via the <link to some feedback page that *will* be taken
> seriously>"...

This list is called ubuntu-devel-announce, and the announcements in question
were:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2006-October/000207.html
[Announcement of the developer summit and list of discussion topics]

and:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2006-November/000218.html
[Instructions for how to participate in the discussions]

--
 - mdz