hoping for suspend2 support in feisty

Ben Collins ben.collins at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 28 23:56:16 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 16:02 +0100, Florian Hackenberger wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 November 2006 15:11, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> >  The chances of suspend2 itself fixing anything
> > are pretty miniscule.
> But AFAIK suspend2 is much faster than swsusp if compression (LZF) is enabled.
> I don't use swsusp, because it's just too slow with 1GB of RAM and my Laptop
> HD. Before switching to Ubuntu I used Gentoo and its hibernate support
> (suspend2) was MUCH faster. Maybe patching the kernel to support suspend2,
> while still using our suspend scripts would be a good idea. Some other
> attractive features of suspend2:

One of the main reasons I wont support suspend2 being in our kernel is
the size of the delta to include it in our sources. The more differences
we have between our kernel, and upstream, the more overhead in
supporting it, whether it is security updates, or synchronizing with
upstream (conflicts in code merges), not to mention updates to these
patches from suspend2.

So even if suspend2 were a little more beneficial, it doesn't make sense
for us to include it. It DOES make sense for the suspend2 folks to get
their stuff in the upstream kernel. It's irrational for a project so
desired by users to be continually left out of upstream, and have those
users expect distro maintainers to do all the work in supporting it like
this.

So instead of asking Ubuntu, or any other distro for that matter, to
include such large patches, it would be better if people asked the
suspend2 maintainers to work on getting things merged with the mainline
kernel.