Invitation to ubuntu developers

Ulrik Mikaelsson ulrik.mikaelsson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 19:49:15 GMT 2006

I certainly would think the hardware manufacturer cares about Linux,
and will start to care even more. Think of the millions of
workstations in some European governments, U.S. states, and some
companies currently undergoing, or about to undergo Windows-to-Linux
migrations as a result of decisions involving questionable license
fees, or fair-play competition, or usually both.

If I were running AMD or Nvidia, I'd be pretty interested in beating
Intel in delivering the low-end chips to all those machines, meaning
they're probably a lot more eager than they admit to get the
"linux-approved" stamp on their butts.

Ubuntu can affect that process, and while excluding binary drivers
completely will only make Linux look bad. Treading lightly, focusing
on educating the users and decision-makers we can make ATI/Nvidia look
bad. (Or Atheros, or whomever producing hardware that require
proprietary drivers.)

Regards
/ Ulrik