Non-opensource drivers

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 01:54:49 GMT 2006

On 11/26/06, Karoliina Salminen <karoliina.t.salminen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am failing to see your point here.

It's pretty simple.  The community (us) can only effectively support
open code.  We cannot _under any circumstances_ provide effective
support for binary drivers that load 4Mb of obfuscated code into a
running kernel.  If Nvidia wants to support that, they can.  We
_can't_.

If you want to mess around with such unsupportable things, feel free.
We aren't stopping you.

You, however, should not feel free to force the rest of us, along with
new users, to endure the same hardship.

Further, nouveau already has reasonably complete code to support your
card.  They should be encouraged, and their code should see wider use.
 It's maintainable.

I should make it crystal clear here that I'm pissed about installing
the nvidia driver _by default_.  I'm all for making it absolutely
idiot-proof to install.  Just don't force it down the throats of those
who happen to like the official Ubuntu stance on Free software.

--tim