Invitation to ubuntu developers

Jeremy Schoenhaar jeremy at fam-schoenhaar.de
Sun Nov 26 19:17:54 GMT 2006

Am Sonntag, den 26.11.2006, 17:33 +0000 schrieb Matthew Garrett:
> On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 04:34:49PM +0100, Jeremy Schoenhaar wrote:
>
> > Nobody is saying that we should not strive for a workable opensource
> > driver for ATI/NVIDIA cards, WIFI cards, etc.. But until we have them we
> > are forced to use the best solution at hand.
>
> For very limited definitions of "forced".
>
> --
> Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org

Ever tried playing planet-penguin-racer with the nv driver? I love
having my 6 yo daughter ask me why it's lame as hell. Lets face it,
although the current opensource drivers are great, and functional. They
are not fully functional. Personally I'm not the type to buy a
dvd-recorder to just play dvd's. (and no, it's not different I spent
good money on an nvidia card, I want the damn thing working properly)
I can also understand that the nvidia driver taints the kernel, that why
I say let the user decide give him a messagebox like thingy asking him
which way he want's to go. Freedom of choice is also an important part
of the GNU/Linux philisophy, not giving a newbie that choice is
restricting his freedom. Your freedom to decide is also the if you don't
want the closed-source driver leave no clicked

Jeremy Schoenhaar