Invitation to ubuntu developers

Dennis Kaarsemaker dennis at kaarsemaker.net
Sat Nov 25 23:27:36 GMT 2006

On za, 2006-11-25 at 18:10 -0500, Tim Schmidt wrote:

> "Closed source Linux kernel modules are illegal."

That's an interpretation question. And since the lawyers he speaks about
won't speak in public, this statement is as good as void.

> "Closed source Linux kernel modules are unworkable."
> "Closed source Linux kernel modules are unethical."

I agree 100% (fwiw, I also consider them illegal, but until a judge has
ruled it's a matterof interpretation)

> > * The decision to maybe use binary drivers by default was taken by the
> >   community as present on the development summit and driven by user
> >   demand for bling. The contract with microsoft was carried out in
> >   complete secrecy by Novell and not driven by user demand
>
> Ummm...  I'm community too...  and I care a lot more about legal,
> functioning, and moral software than illegal, unworkable, unethical
> 'bling'.

The Ubuntu conferences are open to the community and can be reached via
VOIP as well, so why didn't you participate in the discussion?

> > * Feisty isn't released yet, the decision to use binary drivers by
> >   default can still be reverted
>
> Good.  +1 for that.

+2
--
Dennis K.

Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.