Non-opensource drivers

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Sat Nov 25 16:44:20 GMT 2006

On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 03:36:12PM +0100, Soren Hansen wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 12:29:02PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > I intend to include it under an "Advanced Options..." button or
> > similar in Ubiquity.
>
> So the non-free drivers will be the default with an opt-out option under
> the "Advanced options" or the other way around?

At present, the accelerated-x specification calls for it to be the
default. I don't especially like the idea, but it isn't my call. Making
it optional seems like something I can easily do to make things a bit
better for those who don't like binary drivers while not inconveniencing
those who do, and it will potentially make it easier to turn the option
off by default in the future.

Question: should the same checkbox govern binary wireless drivers (e.g.)
too, i.e. turn off the restricted component altogether?